*information obtained from Uncommon Wisdom by Tom Feltenstein
Bold is my perspective
- You will receive a body. You may like it or hate it, but it will be yours for the duration | God made you a certain height, color and gender for a reason.
- You will learn lessons. You are enrolled in a full-time (but informal) school called life. Each day you will have the opportunity to learn lessons. You may like the lessons or think they are irrelevant or stupid. Everyday is a new beginning and everyday we learn something new. We must be observant — actively listening and watching to see what’s today’s life lesson.
- There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trial and error — of experimentation. The “failed” experiments are as much a part of the process as the experiment that ultimately “works”. You learn much more from a failure than a win. The failure teaches you what went wrong, and it gives you a idea on what you could do to succeed. It’s a part of the journey to success.
- A lesson is repeated until it is learned. A lesson will be presented to you in various forms until you have learned it. Then you can go on to the next lesson. If you haven’t gotten the message, you will keep repeating the lesson. Hence, why some people keep having the same problem but in different occasions — they haven’t gotten the message.
- There is no end to learning. There is no part of life that doesn’t contain its lessons. If you are alive, there are lessons to be learned. You are a life-time student from birth to death. Learning doesn’t stop once you graduate high school or college.
- “There” is no better than “here”. When your “there” has become a “here” you will simply obtain another “there” which, again, will look better than “here”. Seems like this is hitting on living in the present and not the future. In addition, no matter where you are in life, you will always picture a “there” thinking that “there” will be better than “here”.
- Others are merely mirrors of yourself. You cannot love or hate something about another person unless it reflects to you something that you love or hate about yourself. What you don’t like about someone, you don’t like about yourself and what you like about someone, you like about yourself. We get to see ourselves for the first time, when we meet and mingle with others.
- What you make of your life is up to you. You have all the tools and resources you need. What you do with them is up to you. You are responsible for your life, you make your own choices. You have 24 hours in a day — 84,600 seconds and what you do with that time is all up to you.
- The answers lie inside of you. All you need to do is look, listen and trust. 9/10 you already know what you do — it’s just doing that will be uncomfortable but living in your comfort zone is dangerous and can be detrimental