*information obtained from ” A More Beautiful Question” by Warren Berger
Deborah Meier says, instead of just pushing information at kids, schools need to teach them how to make sense of what they are being told; so they will know what to make of it and what to do with it.
Every schools need to implement and teach the Five Learning Skills | Habits of Mind
- Evidence | How do we know what’s true or false? What evidence counts?
- Viewpoint | How might this look if we stepped into other shoes, or looked at it from a different direction ?
- Connection | Is there a pattern? How we seen something like this before?
- Conjecture (A statement that might be true (based on some research or reasoning), but is not proven. So a conjecture is like an educated guess. Example: I heard the sound of a plastic bag, so I conjecture there might be some food!) | What if it were different?
- Relevance | Why does this matter?
This type of teaching promotes rational thinking. It is enabling and teaching children to teach for themselves. However, it seems like schools are doing the total opposite; well I will say most schools because they are private schools where rational thinking is taught.