Free radicals are high energy particles with at least one unpaired electron that go wild in the body, ricocheting around trying to match up their unpaired electrons. This causes damage and leads to heart disease, cancers, autoimmune disease, macular degeneration, impaired immunity and accelerated aging.
How Free Radicals are caused by
- Automobile exhaust
- Cigarette smoke
- Food additives
- Alcohol consumption
- Emotional stress
- Exposure to heavy metals like mercury, lead, cadmium
DID YOU KNOW: during breathing aka respiration, free radicals are formed. This causes oxidation occur and oxidation sets off a series of reactions that create instability and keen self-perpetuating. If this process prolongs it causes diseases to develop.
However, we can fight against free radicals when we consume foods high in antioxidants. These special compounds from plants sacrifice an electron, neutralizing free radicals and stopping the process of oxidation in its tracks.
- Carotenoids (vitamin A) Cantaloupe, mangoes, watermelon, collard greens, squash, peaches, mustard greens, kale, bell peppers, papaya, apricots, grapes, tomatoes
- Vitamin E Avocado, Chard, walnuts, mangoes, bell peppers, tomatoes, oregano, parsley, papaya, dried apricots, Brazil nuts, coconut oil, olive oil
- Vitamin C bell peppers,strawberries, Cantaloupe, Tomato, Watermelon, citrus fruits, apple, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, mangoes, watercress
- Selenium Brazil nuts, mushrooms, onions
I don’t suggest buying supplements, I suggest getting these antioxidants from the source. Whole Natural Foods